interface and IP address

From: Yuan Huailin-w19410 (H.L.Yuan@motorola.com)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 07:34:44 EST

Hi, all

    I am developing a driver for network card. But I don't know the detail steps to bind an IP address with an interface.
    For example, there is a network interface called as 'eth0', user can assign IP address for this interface(which is the configuration file?), in the linux boot procedure, IP address should be binded to eth0 by one application(which one?) . I think this application should call ioctl(s,SIOCSIFADDR,...) to set IP address for this interface, If there are something else should do by this application?(like set route,netmask......)?

    Sorry for this simple question, but I really am not familar with linux. thanks!