Re: Strange delays of small packets (2.2 and 2.4)

From: Krzysztof Strasburger (strasbur@chkw386.ch.pwr.wroc.pl)
Date: Fri Jan 24 2003 - 07:23:10 EST

Hi!
I hate to answer my own post, but i found something.
1. All machines suffering from the delays of packets smaller than 100 bytes
   are diskless workstations.
2. I could not reproduce the problem on switched ethernet - it occured only
   once for an unknown reason.
Well, and finally the reason seems to be found - old, good collisions.
After each delay the number of collisions reported for the network
adapter increases. But then, next question arises - why the delays do not
exceed 20 ms on the computers with local disks (and on any machine running
under kernel 2.0.39), but are very long (sometimes even 2 seconds) on
diskless computers with root directory mounted via nfs, running under 2.2/2.4?
Any ideas?
Krzysztof Strasburger