Experimental NE3200 driver, second release

From: Rask Ingemann Lambertsen (rask@sygehus.dk)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 16:01:04 EST

Hi.

The second release of my NE3200 driver can be downloaded from:
<URL:http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc94453/linux/ne3200/0.02/ne3200.tar.gz>

The most notable change for this release is that the crashes are gone. A few bugs in the TX and RX code have also been fixed. A more detailed list of changes is at URL:http://vip.cybercity.dk/~ccc94453/linux/ne3200/0.02/ne3200-0.02.txt>

The driver should work with:
Novell/Microdyne/Eagle/Anthem NE3200 boards.
Intel Etherexpress/32 boards.
Possibly Intel Etherexpress Flash 32 too.
Any other NE3200 clones out there?

I've not received any feedback on the first release and I'm still looking for people to test the driver. What I'd like you to test is:

1) Does it detect your ethernet board? If not, what does it log and which type of board do you have?
2) Does it work with anything else than the BNC connector (which is all I can test at the moment)?

The sources are intended to be compiled outside the kernel tree. I'm using kernel 2.4.20, but it should compile under slightly older releases too. After unpacking the archive somewhere,

cd ne3200
ln -s /your/linux/source/tree/drivers/net/i82586.h .
ln -s /your/linux/build/tree/include .
make -f Makefile-local
insmod -k 82586.o
insmod -k ne3200.o

Alternatively, instead of manually running insmod, copy 82586.o and ne3200.o to e.g. /lib/modules/2.4/kernel/drivers/net, depmod and use it like other network drivers.

The archive includes precompiled firmware just in case your binutils isn't recent enough to work with i80186 code.

The speed is poor at the moment, only about 300 kB/s when it is best. Multiple boards are not supported yet.

Regards,
Rask Ingemann Lambertsen