Re: IP aliasing and ARP

From: Martin A. Brown (mabrown-linux-net@securepipe.com)
Date: Mon Mar 03 2003 - 18:06:33 EST

For the record, I configured IP A on host A, and used ping and arping
to hit IP A from from host B.

Host A continued to respond to the ping and arping requests for
predictably 2-3 seconds after the "ip addr del IP/A dev eth0" command was
executed. The lag between the removal of the IP and the kernel
ceasing to respond to ARP requests and echo requests appeared to be
exactly the same.

-Martin

 : I couldn't reproduce same thing here ie., no late ARP replies,...
 : (-- maybe supply more details?)
 :
 : btw.,
 : net/core/neighbour.c:
 : #define NEIGH_DEBUG 2
 : ;; (and NEIGH_PRINTK2("neigh %p is suspecteded.\n", neigh);
 : ;; => NEIGH_PRINTK2("neigh %p is suspected.\n", neigh);)
 : seem to help a bit around here.
 :
 : > Does
 : > behavior of a process using that address affect this?
 :
 : this part - I don't know (still suspecting it's not the case).
 :
 : regards,
 : kenji
 : -
 : To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in
 : the body of a message to majordomo@vger.kernel.org
 : More majordomo info at http://vger.kernel.org/majordomo-info.html
 :

--