Re: Traceroute Mal-formed packets

From: Casey Carter (ccarter@cs.uiuc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 08:46:58 EST

Your explanation is incorrect. What you refer to as "UDP header length"
is actually UDP data length. The UDP header is always 8 bytes long, and
the data can have any length that it wants, not necessarily a multiple of 4.

Maybe it would help if you post a complete tcpdump of this interaction
(ideally, on the router) for us to examine.

John McLaren wrote:

>Thanks Pekka.. you're absolutely right. I have re-posted the article in
>HTML format:
>
>http://campus.murraystate.edu/tsm/tsm352/articles/traceroutebug.htm
>
>JMcLaren
>
>-
>To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-net" in

Casey Carter
Casey@Carter.net
ccarter@uiuc.edu
AIM: cartec69