Re: Traceroute Mal-formed packets

From: John McLaren (john.mclaren@murraystate.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 06 2003 - 09:24:12 EST

I stand corrected.. i should have said "udp length" rather than header length.
I was under the impression that this had to be multiples of long words also.

Nonetheless... what is the need for any data in this packet? Traceroute
uses incrementing to assure that the return packets can be effectively
ID'd, right?

If nothing else, this anomoly might be useful in identifying certain router
types that consider this to be a mal-formed packet.

JMcLaren