Re: Rx overruns with e1000 card

From: Mark Huth (mhuth@mvista.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 16:12:40 EST

Rx overruns are generally caused by the inability of the device to get
sufficient bus bandwidth to offload the data. The bandwidth of a 66MHz
32-bit PCI bus is just barely adequate to serve a single full-duplex GE.
 Add a couple of bridges, a little congestion, some contention from
other devices, and you might see this problem, especially if you are
trying to poll the device at the same time, since that causes further
contention/disruption to the data flow on the PCI bus. Since both
devices are on the same PCI bus, the two controllers interfer with each
other, as well.

What percentage of packets are getting the overruns?

Mark Huth