ip-alias and NAT doesn't work

From: Rupali Kasralikar (rupalik10@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Jul 29 2003 - 17:01:01 EST

Hi,

Further to ip-alias - NAT and ip-alias.
Any help on this one would be much appreciated.

I have very simple configuration.
1>
Linux machine with ip address -
eth0: 192.168.2.2/24
eth0:0 172.16.10.10/24

I have NAT enable on eth0 of Linux machine.
Output of
>ipchains -L -n -t nat
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

MASQUERADE all -- 172.16.2.0/24 0.0.0.0/0

Also I have dialup connection on linux machine (ppp
interface) to connect to public network.

2> another NT machine with ip address,
172.16.10.8/24

I can ping from NT machine to 172.16.10.10 as well
192.168.2.2 on Linux machine.
Also I can ping to 192.168.10.8 of NT machine from
Linux box.

Now my question is, if I try to ping to public IP from
NT machine (i.e esentially from ip alias interface) I
don't see connectivity (no ICMP echo reply) to outside
world. I can connect otherwise (i.e ppp is up and
running)

Does alias interface needs to add masquerading rule as
well?

Thanks