root over nfs problems

From: Nick Couchman (nick@seakr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 30 2003 - 10:50:48 EST

I'm having some issues with mounting a root filesystem over NFS. Maybe
somebody can help me out (even if it is telling me that it isn't a
kernel issue and I need to look elsewhere). I have a server running the
XFS filesystem. I have a directory (/usr/local/diskless/base) shared
out that has a basic linux install in it. DHCP, TFTP, and NFS are
(appear to be) working. When I go to boot the diskless client, it loads
the kernel up until the following point:

VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 304k freed

At this point the computer just stops and doesn't do anything. The
syslogs on the server indicate a succesful authentication and mount of
that directory, and there are no additional messages.

Ideas? Is there somewhere else I should look?

--Nick

--
You can't make a difference until you are willing to be different!