Re: Bug with ARP - request source address on wrong subnet

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Fri Aug 15 2003 - 07:21:57 EST

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:03:51 +0100
Richard Underwood <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have a problem with ARP on Linux 2.4.20 (RedHat 2.4.20-18.8 if it
> matters) which I believe to be a bug. While I'm willing to upgrade the
> kernel, it appears to be a generic problem.

No standard says we cannot behave the way we do.

You can control the behavior by setting the preferred source
on your routes using the 'ip' command and then setting the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/arp_filter sysctl values to '1'
for the interfaces where you'd like the preferred source to
determine what arp responses will occur.