Re: 3C905A problem with 2 nic's

From: thomas . hays
Date: Sat Feb 21 2004 - 18:06:39 EST

On Thu, Feb 19, 2004 at 10:24:24PM -0600, thomas.hays@xxxxxx wrote:
> I have a machine with 2 3C905A nic's. eth0 is statically assigned and
> always works fine. With 2.6.3 (but not with 2.4.23) eth1 fails to work
> regardless of whether I use dhcpcd to my isp or statically assign with
> ifconfig.

At the risk of replying to myself, I "fixed" this problem by replacing
the two 3C905A's with SMC 9432 (Epic) cards. They work fine with both
2.4.23 and 2.6.3. Before replacing the cards I had also tried
switching the 3C905A's to different PCI slots and changing the irq's
in the bios, neither action fixed the problem with eth1 failing in
2.6.3. I also tried swapping the A revision for the B revision of the
card, this also didn't work with 2.6.3. Finally, I took the two
3C905A's and put them in an older computer with a 440LX chipset and
set it up identical and it DID work with 2.6.3. This leads me to
believe that the 3c59x driver doesn't like something about my
motherboard/chipset. Anyway, the SMC's work.