Re: the return values of dev_mc_add and dev_mc_delete

From: David S. Miller
Date: Sat Feb 28 2004 - 19:10:27 EST

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 22:30:06 -0800
"Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> | There are a few more functions in kernel (with dev_mc_add and dev_mc_delete)
> | where you can find similar code. If the described situation is really error
> | then this fuctions should be fixed too. I used 2.6.2 and 2.4.18 kernels.
>
> I see. So why do all callers of dev_mc_add() and dev_mc_delete()
> not check the return value of those functions?? Anyone?

It's totally an oversight, I included the net/core/dev.c changes but
the other instances are much harder to fix and they do need to be fixed.
They are harder to cure because they need to undo a lot of state if
dev_mc_*() should fail, also some of the call chains all return void
and would need to be changed in that respect too.