Re: One question about PACKET_MMAP

From: uaca
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 12:44:17 EST

Hi again,

I was wrong (writing from memory)

[...]

On Mon, Apr 12, 2004 at 07:32:50PM +0200, uaca@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Well, this also depends on how you use it, the libpcap
> I used (http://pusa.uv.es/~ulisses/packet_mmap/) copies
> the frames from the ring to the user space buffer, so in this
> case using PACKET_MMAP only gets the benefit of (nearly) not
> issuing any system call (which is very important), but not
> reducing the number of times data is copied
>
> In order to be compatible with current libpcap API, I think that is
> necessary to copy the data
>
> There is another libpcap that uses PACKET_MMAP, see
>
> http://public.lanl.gov/cpw/
>
> I did not checked that detail about this version. I'm going to look at it now

both versions makes available to the user the frames from the ring

sorry about this confusion

regards

Ulisses

Debian GNU/Linux: a dream come true
"Computers are useless. They can only give answers." Pablo Picasso

Humans are slow, innaccurate, and brilliant.
Computers are fast, acurrate, and dumb.
Together they are unbeatable

---> Visita http://www.valux.org/ para saber acerca de la <---
---> Asociación Valenciana de Usuarios de Linux <---