Re: skb data uncacheable ??

From: Nagendra Singh Tomar
Date: Mon Apr 12 2004 - 23:33:32 EST

I went ahead and added such an API and the performance was _not_ _great_.
I feel the reason for this is the presence of skb_shared_info at the end
of the skb->data. Since this skb_shared_info needs to be accessed at least
a couple of times we get hurt badly if that lies in the non-cacheable
region.
Other bigger thing is the access to the various protocol headers.
Since currently these also lie in skb->data we need to access skb->data
even for devices that do Rx checksum verification (and hence allow us to
leave the data payload untouched). If we can have a strategy in which we
keep first 128 bytes say (precisely max possible header size) in a
cacheable region and the rest, that is pure data, in uncacheable region,
we can see some gain.

The most important question: Is it worth all this ? DO we gain much if we
prevent pollution of the data cache, by doing these tricks.

Comments are welcome.

Thanx,
tomar