TCP performance on GBE LAN

From: sai narasimhamurthy
Date: Thu Mar 03 2005 - 05:20:58 EST

Hi,
I just do not understand why the throughputs indicated
by IPERF on a GBE LAN is so very low!!! I am speaking
of throughputs around 50-100 Mb/s!! I understand all
the optimizations of jumbo frames(I have max'd it!)
and large windows etc(which shouldnt actually matter
in a LAN since the RTTs are so very low) . The two
machines I am working on are not even 10 meters
away!!!:))

My iSCSI application is heavily hampered by TCP. I am
working with the 2.6.10 kernel..(has any one faced low
throughputs in a GBE with 2.6.10? let me know ) .

I would be very happy to push the TCP throughput to
around 600-700 Mb/s atleast. any suggestions?

Thanks
Sai