pci Express Equipment

From: kylin
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 06:50:50 EST

On one hand ,hardwarely,as it is always said, PCIE provides the
superexcellent performance

comparing with the PCI and PCI -X
On the other ,softwarely,in most the application scenarios i have met
, the PCIE equipment will

have to use the pci-compatible driver first in linux.
because the Configuration head is pci compatible in the first 256 byte ,
it is allowed and really works.
i know if we use the conventional Device Driver for pcie equipment,
the advanced option such as MSI ,Flow Control ,TC ,VC and hotplug are
unavailable, i also know

that the speed is mainly the problem of Bandwidth and Clocking. Still
i know that the Trafic

control mechanism is good for the arbitration and thus improve the
performance just like the

TCP protocol ways.
So my conclusion is :
the conventional Device driver will not be the bottle neck of the PCIE
performance as long as

only speed is concerned ,and the advanced options are only
Application-related.
here allow me just compare it with the network protocol ,
oh ,i just use the IP protocol ,with out the TCP /UDP way.
is that right ?or any wise can give some advice and

--
we who r about to die,salute u!