Re: Kernel Routing sequence

From: Soininen Jonne (Nokia-NET/Helsinki)
Date: Mon Aug 15 2005 - 05:12:57 EST

On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 12:50, ext Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Al Boldi wrote:
>
> No it is not.
>
> What is hardcoded in any IP equipment is that one IP address should only
> exist on a single host. You can not easily have the addresses
> 10.0.1.0-10.0.1.255 on two different networks if there is any direct
> connection between the two, including a station needing to talk to both
> networks.

Actually, it is one IP address per interface. A node can have multiple
addresses - routers generally do. Even having multiple interfaces to the
same network should really not be a big issue. This setup is perfectly
legal from what I can see, if both the 10/8 and 10.0.1/24 are in the
same network.

It seems that what Al is worried about is the fact that when he gets a
ping from 10.0.1.2 it comes in from eth0, but again (as mandated by the
routing table) the echo reply goes out from eth1 - not the same way it
came in.

Al, why are you worried that the echo reply goes out from a different
interface? It might be easier to understand what you want if we would
understand the problem.

Cheers,

Jonne.

Jonne Soininen