SMP or Single CPU?

From: Juan Pablo Abuyeres
Date: Sun Apr 30 2006 - 08:42:29 EST

Hi guys,

I've been using an old single processor / linux 2.4 iptables based firewall for a few years.

Now it's time to upgrade that machine, so, I am wondering, would it be of real benefit if I put a two-processor system for a firewall? This machine is going to have 4 NICs, it's going to make routing (lots of routes), and firewall (iptables). I don't know if these kind of tasks take advantage from a multiple-processor architecture. Please enlighten me :)

Thank you!

JP