Re: W/RTT verification, linux tcp buffers behaviour

From: David S. Miller
Date: Tue May 16 2006 - 01:00:13 EST

From: Al Boldi <a1426z@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 07:46:03 +0300

> David S. Miller wrote:
> > We try to make approximations in the TCP stack, see the
> > net.ipv4.tcp_adv_win_scale sysctl and how the kernel uses that for
> > example.
>
> So can this be used to convince the kernel to utilize the full bandwidth w/o
> striping the connection?
>
> It seems kind of strange, that striping would be faster when it involves an
> inherent overhead.

I don't understand your question, what is "striping"?

The tcp_adv_win_scale determines how much of the "socket buffer
space" we advertise in the actual TCP window. It's mean to
approximate the amount of structure and header overhead is
assosciated with each packet.

But again, it's an approximation and there are cases where it
is suboptimal.