Re: Gigabit Ethernet Controller questions

From: Jesse Brandeburg
Date: Fri Jun 16 2006 - 14:25:24 EST

netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx might be a better place to ask this, or even
e1000-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxx

On 6/15/06, kewlemer <kewlemer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I'm trying to understand Intel Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver's
way of doing auto-negotiation, and forced duplex, speed and flow
control.
[ See http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/source/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_hw.c ]

I have the following questions :-

1. http://www.linux-m32r.org/lxr/http/source/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_hw.c#L2000
Here, in line 2011, why is flow control turned off when forcing speed
and duplex ?

It is turned off *unless* it is forced to be enabled on the command line.

2. I understand from Intel's manual that in case of fiber, we won't
have auto-negotiation (it's always 1000Mbps, Duplex). So comments in
lines 1058 and 1102 confuse me. Is it that though we don't
auto-negotiate speed and duplex for fiber, flow-control can still be
configured ?

the same answer above applies here, if you force anything, you must
specify settings for everything that you want enabled
(speed/duplex/flowcontrol)

Jesse