Dead loop on virtual - how to interpret it

From: Moire
Date: Mon Jul 17 2006 - 04:31:15 EST

Dear List,

i am not so familiar with the deep art of
network internals more with the basics one.
Therefore i have a problem to interpret this
error message:

Dead loop on virtual device br0, fix it urgently!

In the korresponding code i found this quote:

/* It may be transient configuration error,
when hard_start_xmit() recurses. We detect
it by checking xmit owner and drop the
packet when deadloop is detected.
*/

but i still have no idea what could be wrong.

My setup is an bridge (two interfaces) and local
interface. The bridge connects the dmz with the internet.

How can i reproduce this error message - to find the cause.

What does it mean (for a not so advanced admin;).

Thanks in advance for any help.

C. Moire