Re: TUN/TAP/UML proxy arp and IPV6 don't like one another.

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Wed Nov 08 2006 - 12:18:57 EST

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 12:08:01PM -0600, greg@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Environment:
> 2.4.33.3 host kernel with SKAS3 patch.
> Stock 2.6.18 UML guest kernel.
>
> Host kernel has IPV6 enabled but there are no IPV6 routers
> active on the subnet. The active eth0 host interface only has
> a link-local address assigned to it.
>
> The host kernel was recompiled with the only change being to drop IPV6
> from the kernel. Identical guest OS implementation boots and properly
> pings the same target host on the network.

So, you're saying that IPV6, even though it is not being used, is
somehow interfering with normal IPV4 networking?

> I know 2.4.33.3 is a bit dated so this might be better to bounce off
> Willy.
>
> Thoughts, further suggestions?

Maybe upgrade and hope the problem goes away. It sounds like this
should be reproducable without UML, so if you can reproduce this on a
newer kernel with a smaller test case, that might help get it fixed.

Jeff