Re: Is it possible to run TCP/IP stack in user space?

From: John Heffner
Date: Thu Nov 09 2006 - 00:29:28 EST

Subramonia Pillai wrote:
Hi,

I have one doubt. Is it possible to run a third party
TCP/IP stack as application over a native linux
kernel. Please give some pointer how it will be done?

Maybe, with some difficulty.

I'm aware of a few things that did this over BSD, but they're really out of date. The Alpine project pulled the BSD TCP stack out into a userspace library: <http://sosp16.cs.washington.edu/homes/djw/papers/Usits01.pdf>. The FoxNet project wrote a full TCP/IP stack from the ground up in SML: <http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~fox/foxnet.html>. IIRC, they both had similar hack layers for running on top of a unix kernel, using pcap, firewall filters and raw sockets.

-John