Re: Instrumenting the linux networking stack...

From: Luca De Cicco
Date: Mon Feb 05 2007 - 12:00:51 EST

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:36:07 -0800 (PST)
Vinay Venkataraghavan <raghavanvinay@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to add some instrumentation to the linux IP networking
> stack. I would like to for starters add some debug statements (which
> I have already done) at various points of the IP networking code.
>
> What I would like to do is to add debug levels for all these printk's
> and to be able to modify the debug level on the fly through the sysfs
> file system.
>
> I know how to do this for linux drivers but what is a good place
> where I can add this code and be able to change the debug level
> through the sysfs file system.

Have looked at www.web100.org? It is a patch actively maintained which
enables instrumentation of TCP/IP stack [1].

Best Regards,
Luca De Cicco

[1] M. Mathis, J Heffner and R Reddy, "Web100: Extended TCP
Instrumentation for Research, Education and Diagnosis", ACM Computer
Communications Review, Vol 33, Num 3, July 2003
Available online: http://www.web100.org/docs/mathis03web100.pdf