Re: Generic Netlink Sockets

From: Hagen Paul Pfeifer
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 09:26:53 EST

On 2007.04.10 NP, Simha (STSD) pressed the following keys:

>Hi,
> I wanted to add a new family under NETLINK_GENERIC.
>I have registered the family and the operations in the kernel code. I
>wonder how I will get to know the family id in the user space.

1) netdev is a better place for thinks like that.

2) If I understand you correctly, you didn't use the generic netlink interface
- you add your own family (after NETLINK_SCSITRANSPORT )!?

If that is true, than you can't utilize an library - you must include
netlink.h in your source code.

On the other side: if you utilize NETLINK_GENERIC, than libnl[1] is your
friend.

>Thanks,
>simha.

Hagen

PS: often the generic netlink interface is a better choice!

[1] http://people.suug.ch/~tgr/libnl/

on while IP was being designed." -- Paul Vixie