Re: Questions about the Linux network stack

From: Matthew Faulkner
Date: Tue May 29 2007 - 06:43:03 EST

Hey all,

Not sure if this should be asked within this mailing list or netdev,
so please accept my appologies if it's in the wrong place.

I'd like to know what the best way to go about "profiling" the linux
networking code is. There are a few different methods of profiling the
linux from applications suchs as OProfile and simply booting the
kernel with the profile=2 option and viewing the /proc/ system, but
i'm not sure which (if any) will do the tasks i require.

Basically I want to profile and find out how long each stage of the
network processing takes, for example, how long the TCP/IP processing
takes (in softIRQ context?) and how long the hardware interupt takes?
etc.

Thanks for your help

Matt