[iproute2] wrong limit upload speed

From: solsTiCe d'Hiver
Date: Mon Oct 01 2007 - 08:24:10 EST

hi.
i have discovered some time ago that i could limit the upload speed of my ppp0
interface so that i could not saturate my modem and keep a good latency to
continue surfing and so on while uploading.

i was not pleased or had no need for dsl_qos_queue or wondershapper so i
relied upon using a simple comand line as:

tc qdisc add dev ppp0 root tbf rate 120kbit latency 40ms burst 1540

and it limited my upload at around 12ko/s (yes i only have a 512/128 KBps
connexion or 64/16 kB/s)

but today i just discovered that with that command my upload is limited to
8kb/s as i see it in conky.

and whatever the limit i set with the tc command it is still limited at 8
kb/s.

so what happened ? is it because of iproute ? because of the kernel ?

i use the 2.6.22 and archlinux distro.

when i run $ tc qdisc, i got
qdisc pfifo_fast 0: dev eth0 root bands 3 priomap 1 2 2 2 1 2 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1
1 1
qdisc tbf 8006: dev ppp0 rate 160000bit burst 1539b lat 40.0ms

what is the 8006 there ?