Re: Undocumented IPv6 options

From: Matti Aarnio
Date: Mon Oct 15 2007 - 03:39:14 EST

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 08:54:49AM +0200, Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> Hello netdev,
>
> Andrew McDonald kindly fixed the description of IPV6_ROUTER_ALERT in the
> ipv7.7 man page. As long as we're on the topic, I'll point out that the
> following IPV6 options (and possibly others) are still not documented on
> that page:
>
> IPV6_CHECKSUM
> IPV6_JOIN_ANYCAST
> IPV6_LEAVE_ANYCAST
> IPV6_V6ONLY
> IPV6_RECVPKTINFO
> IPV6_2292PKTINFO
>
> Can anyone help with documenting any of these please?

RFC 2553 was obsoleted by RFC 3493, and it added IPV6_V6ONLY into Basic API.

RFC 2292 (IPV6 Advanced API) defines IPV6_CHECKSUM, and IPV6_PKTINFO
(latter of which is known above as IPV6_2292PKTINFO)

RFC 3542 obsoletes RFC 2292, and defines IPV6_RECVPKTINFO, and
modifies IPV6_PKTINFO.

The IPV6_JOIN_ANYCAST and IPV6_LEAVE_ANYCAST are not defined in any RFC.

Undocumented are also IPV6_JOIN_GROUP and IPV6_LEAVE_GROUP (RFC 2553 / 3493)

It really looks like time for major overhaul of that (and related) man-pages
is needed...

> Cheers,
>
> Michael
> --
> Michael Kerrisk
> maintainer of Linux man pages Sections 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7

/Matti Aarnio