Problem with frame time stamping

From: Antoine Zen-Ruffinen
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 10:42:46 EST

Dear all,

I'm writing a network analyzer software using Linux and I need a VERY
precise frame time stamping. Therefor I am planing to add my own time
stamping algorithm on a modified network driver. For test purpose I
did so :

skb->tstamp.tv64 = 0x00010002;
netif_rx(skb);

On the user side, I ask for the timestamp that way :

sock = socket(AF_PACKET, SOCK_RAW, type);
//bind this socket with the interface using my modified driver.
recvByteCount = recv(sock, buffer, 1514, 0);
ioctl(sock, SIOCGSTAMP, &timeStamp);

I was surprised to see that the var timeStamp was still holding a
count of second since year 1970.

Investigating a bit into the kernel code, I found that ioctl(sock,
SIOCGSTAMP, ...) was giving just the current kernel time using
ktime_get_real().

Are my investigation wrong ?
Is that a bug in kernel code ?
Is there an other way to access skb.tstamp from user side ?

Thank's to any one that can help me !

Antoine Zen-Ruffinen