Re: Ethernet link up transition and IPv6 DAD

From: Brian Haley
Date: Thu Nov 13 2008 - 14:09:02 EST

Tarr, Stephen F wrote:
If I boot the system and bring the interface up (e.g. "ifconfig up")
with the cable disconnected, wait a bit, then connect the cable, I don't
see the IPv6 DAD probe for the link-local address or the router
solicitation multicast.
A little investigation shows that the IPv6 addrconf module is assuming
"link up" at initialization and is running DAD and RS while the cable is
still disconnected. When I connect the cable, the PHY and the gianfar
driver detect "link up" but the addrconf module doesn't see the
transition.

Probably fixed by this patch last week:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-netdev&m=122580803008049&w=2

-Brian