Re: multicast: same port, different IP address?

From: Matt Garman
Date: Thu Apr 09 2009 - 16:57:57 EST

On Wed, Apr 08, 2009 at 04:26:00PM -0700, David Stevens wrote:
> Well, you can verify the bindings by doing a "netstat -an" while
> the two receivers are running.
>
> If either of the them has a "*" for the address listed with your
> port, then that one didn't bind to a particular group address, but
> rather INADDR_ANY.
>
> You can also use strace or ltrace (with some filtering, if it's
> too much) to see what arguments you're getting to the socket, bind
> and send system calls, which may also help.

Wow, thank you so much, that was incredibly helpful. I was in fact
binding to INADDR_ANY.

For the record, when creating the ACE_SOCK_Dgram_Mcast object
(essentially an object wrapper for a socket), I need to pass in the
OPT_BINDADDR_YES option (which causes the socket to bind() to a
specific address, as opposed to INADDR_ANY).

Thanks again to David and everyone else for all the help!

-Matt