Re: Questions about route realms

From: Atis Elsts
Date: Tue Jan 26 2010 - 10:51:14 EST

On Tuesday 26 January 2010 15:08:09 David Miller wrote:
> From: Atis Elsts <atis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 14:42:55 +0200
>
> > Can you try this patch?
>
> You need to use a special rtnetlink attribute to communicate
> larger than 8-bit values with the kernel.
>
> I'm not sure iproute2 does that yet, you'd have to make sure
> it does before blindly removing checks like this.

David, if I understand you correctly, that works just fine - RTA_FLOW is a
"u32" attribute.

However, apparently it's not possible to do traffic classification based on these
"extended" realms, if that's what the OP wanted - by closer look at
net/sched/cls_route.c, the <= 0xff check is present there and cannot be
trivially removed.
The "extended" realms still could be used for traffic matcher in firewall, but I
guess that it's better to keep unified semantics of the "realm" parameter
within iproute2 tools. I retract my patch for now.

Atis