Strong-end vs weak-end host model

From: Pau Garcia i Quiles
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 06:45:42 EST

Hello,

By default the TCP/IP stack in Linux has a weak-end [1] behavior,
which is causing a lot of trouble for me in a very specific but widely
used scenario here at work. Is it possible to make it strong-end
*without* bridging interfaces? (which is the only way I've found,
here: http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0801.3/3174.html
)

[1] in case of server multihomed …
“strong-end model” = refers to the kernel that
accepts packets on an interface only if DST_IP is
equal to the IP of the interface
“weak-end model” = refer to the kernel that
accepts packets only if DST_IP is equal to the IP of
any interface of the server

(see slide 12 in http://security.polito.it/~lioy/01jfd/02_Socket_En6x.pdf)

AFAIK this is possible on Windows since Vista. For now I'm solving the
issue by making sure all the network libraries and applications make
use of SO_BINDTODEVICE but it's a PITA.

Thank you.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles