Re: your mail

lilo (TaRDiS@mail.utexas.edu)
Tue, 1 Aug 1995 13:51:49 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 1 Aug 1995 owner-linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:

> Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 12:04:24 -0500
> From: owner-linux-net@vger.rutgers.edu
>
> I've been playing around with IP masquerading in the latest kernel I can
> find (1.3.13). When I stick to stuff like telnetting, it appears to work
> perfectly. I tried an FTP accross it before reading that FTP wasn't
> totally supported yet, and this caused a crash.
>
> The "ipfw" utility I'm using came from a distribution of the net
> utilities numbered 1.2.0. Is there a chance that this might be the cause
> of the problem? Is there a more recent utility to try?

There's a more recent utility (a 1.3.6ALPHA net-tools on sunacm.swan.ac.uk
and mirroring sites) but it's likely the problem is not there. Masquerading
IP for an ftp session using the port-command-thingie is not an easy thing to
code.... I believe it'll work fine without the port-command-thingie
(netscape does its ftp's without, for example)....

lilo