Re: Multiple IP Addrs for an interface

Michael Brennen (mbrennen@fni.com)
Sun, 6 Aug 1995 00:30:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Geoffrey Bennett wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> So, if someone has the IP Alias patches for 1.2.11 (with
> instructions), or some explanation of how to use the dummy device,
> then please tell me about it! (yes, I've looked in the HOWTO's I
> thought were relevant, but found nothing)

I would be interested in this also. I have stayed with the dummy devices
because of the uncertainty of ip alias and ongoing kernel upgrades, but
there seem to be advantages to the alias patches. I am presently on
1.2.13; when it seems that the kernel skpush panics are fixed on PPP
disconnects I will go back to 1.3.x.

For dummy usage, let's say you have machine at 1.2.3.1. Do the following
to add additional domains. You need compile the kernel with module
support, and do not configure the dummy module in. I put these lines in
rc.local. You'll need the modules-1.1.87 package from sunsite.unl.edu or
tsx-11.mit.edu to compile in module support.

# Attach subsequent IP addresses for additional domains
/sbin/insmod -o dummy0 /usr/src/linux/modules/dummy.o
ifconfig dummy0 1.2.3.2 up
route add 1.2.3.2
#
/sbin/insmod -o dummy1 /usr/src/linux/modules/dummy.o
ifconfig dummy1 1.2.3.3 up
route add 1.2.3.3
#
/sbin/insmod -o dummy2 /usr/src/linux/modules/dummy.o
ifconfig dummy2 1.2.3.4 up
route add 1.2.3.4

Hope it helps,
Michael
Michael Brennen mbrennen@fni.com
FishNet, Inc.
P.O. Box 940451 http://www.fni.com/
Plano, TX 75074-0451 (214) 783-2553 (vox/fax)