Re: Problem with Archie client (and fix)

Matthias Urlichs (urlichs@smurf.noris.de)
7 Aug 1995 12:27:19 +0200

In linux.dev.net, article <Pine.LNX.3.91.950801134847.1504A-100000@insight.foxnet.net>,
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@foxnet.net> writes:

> Basically, archie is timing out, and then choosing a new timeout value by
> multiplying the value in "timeout" by two. On most systems, this value will
> be the old timeout value; on Linux, after select() times out this value is
> 0, and so all subsequent retries will last for 0 seconds.

Here we go again... On these other systems, select() not returning the
leftover timer value is mentioned as a bug in the manpage. It's not the
problem of Linux if that bug is fixed.

That being said, if select() times out, IMHO, there's no good reason to
zero out the timer... well, OK, there is -- we catch more buggy programs
that way. ;-)

--
"What does a Scotsman have under his kilt?"
"A leg at each corner."