Re: co-existance of pppd and mgetty ?

Johan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Myr=E9en?= (jem@vistacom.fi)
Thu, 9 May 1996 10:28:47 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Chris Bagwell wrote:

> By default, they are both attempting to put a lock file in two different locations
> so mgetty never see's pppd using the modem and so it hangs it up and resets.

> This is from memory since I'm not at home but mgetty places it at
> /var/spool/uucp/LCK..?? and ppd places it at /var/lock/LCK..??

> You can either change mgetty's config files or a file in pppd and recompile.
> I did it in pppd since I already had mgetty set up. The file in pppd
> is "sys-linux.c". Change the line with /var/lock/LCK to /var/spool/uucp/LCK
> and then recompile.

No, change mgetty to use /var/lock instead, that's the correct directory
according to the Linux File System Standard. The easiest way is to make
/var/spool/uucp a link to /var/lock.

> It would be nice if the location of the locking string was mentioned in the
> pppd documention (I've never seen it but I didn't look real hard).

On the contrary, since pppd gets it right, I think it is good pppd hides that
information, making it harder to break it. You are not supposed to change the
lock directory name.

Note that you'll have to use /dev/ttyS* (not /dev/cua*) for both mgetty and
pppd, otherwise you will still have the same problem with differently
named lock files.

Johan Myreen
jem@iki.fi