Re: co-existance of pppd and mgetty ?

Helmut Riegler (helmut@sparc1.fast.co.at)
Fri, 10 May 1996 15:25:01 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 8 May 1996, Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 5 May 1996, Allen Curtis wrote:
>
> > I need to created a dial-in capability for a machine with a single
> > serial port modem. I thought that I could do this with mgetty and still
> > allow me the flexibility to use pppd for internet access etc. So I:
> >
> > 1) Added mgetty to my inittab file:
> >
> > d2:45:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -x 3 -D ttyS1
>
> Make sure you're using ttyS1 also for dialout. Forget whatever you've
> heard about cua being for dialout and ttyS for dialin. With that, it
> should work...I do it all the time.

I think splitting ttyS? and cua? for incoming and outgoing calls is a bad
idea. I tried to setup my system with Hylafax, SLIP, UUCP seyon and also
for incoming calls.

It wasn't possible with this splitting. I think the point is that the
UUCP style locking must work for every application. This implies that the
lockfile must be the same. Then you won't get problems.

I am not sure wether it is better to use ttyS? or cua? for all. I am
using the cua? ports because I had problems to setup Hylafax with ttyS?.
It seems there are small differences in the behavior.

With cua? I have no problems with my applications.

Helmut

Name: Helmut Riegler Email: helmut.riegler@fast.co.at
Office: FAST Ges.m.b.H Phone: ++43/1/7980180-17
Modecenterstrasse 14 Fax: ++43/1/7980184
A-1030 Vienna, Austria