Re: TCP/IP with 3Com Adapters

Mika Neva (count@juhani.lpt.fi)
Fri, 10 May 1996 16:29:57 +0300 (EET DST)

On Tue, 7 May 1996, Sandro Jurado wrote:

Hi,

> Hi, I'm new on this list, and I'm trying to connect my PC with
> Linux 2.3 to my local Network. I'm using a 3Com 3C509-Combo Etherlink
> III ISA Adapter, but I cant configure TCP/IP for this adapter. My

This is becoming a deja vu for me but anyway, here goes :) First of all,
you have to turn _off_ the Plug'n'Play support. Second, you have to set
the Transceiver type to the _exact_ media you have. The Auto Select just
_won't_ do it! E.g. if you are using BNC caple, set the Tranceiver type
to BNC.

You can set the card by using the setup (install) -program that came with
your adapter. Just boot to dos, put the disk in the drive and type
install or 3c5x9cfg to re-configure your NIC.

Hope this helps

P.S. Because this is so common question, I think it should be documented
somewhere in the Linux Net-HOWTO documents or place like that.

Have fun,

Mika

--
Mika.Neva@juhani.lpt.fi