Re: exporting msdos partition

Helmut Riegler (helmut%gurk@vil2.net4you.co.at)
Sat, 11 May 1996 18:12:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 8 May 1996 dduecker@top-flite.water.ca.gov wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> My hard drive has three partitions: hda1 = msdos, hda2 = Linux/swap,
> hda3 = Linux/ext2. I'd like to be able to export the msdos partition
> via NFS -- and I can, as read-only -- the problem seems to be changing
> properties. /dos (=hda1) has the properties '-rwxr-xr-x root root';
> chown returns 'Operation not permitted', and chmod *acts* like it's
> doing something but 'ls -l' shows the same unchanged properties.
>
> Is there a way I can make this thing a writeable NFS export? My ext2
> exported filesystems are working nicely as read/write.

I think the problem is not the NFS export, the problem is that the dos
filesystem doesn't support ownership and modes of files in the usual way.

When you are mounting a msdos partition you can specify the mount options
uid, gid and umask. These modes will be used for all files on the dos
partition.

This is necessary, because fat filesystem doesn't support this unix
features.

Helmut

| Helmut Riegler | FALKO Standard Ges.m.b.H | |
| Domplatz 7 | Modecenterstr. 14 | Greetings |
| A-9342 Gurk | A-1030 Vienn | |
| 04266/8597 | Tel: ++43/1/7980180 | from GURK |
| 04266/8560 | Fax: ++43/1/7980184 | |
| helmut-riegler@net4you.co.at | company: helmut.riegler@fast.co.at |