Re: /dev/cua? Vs /dev/ttyS? (was: Re: co-existance of pppd and mgetty ?)

Jose Luis Marin Espa/ol (marin@posta.unizar.es)
Mon, 13 May 1996 14:56:33 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 13 May 1996, Tony Nugent wrote:

> Can someone kindly explain the difference between the /dev/cua? and
> /dev/ttyS? devices?
>
> Exactly how _should_ they be used?
>
> (10 points for the correct answer :-)
>
> Cheers .
> Tony _--_|\

Well, they've going at it for a more than a month in
comp.os.linux.development, under the thread 'Do we really
need cua* and ttyS*'. I'm not an expert at all, so I was rather confused
about the different opinions...

At the end, the summary is more or less: the kernel takes care of
the necessary (basic) locking for the cua/ttyS scheme; but other locking
schemes can be devised by the application programmers, and a lot
of people feel that the Unix kernel should *not* get in the way, and
let the programmers come up with a locking scheme standard (uucp being
the candidate, it seems).

If anyone followed this thread, is that correct or did I miss something
more important?

Hope it helps,

Jose L Marin