Re: Linux & Multiple processing?

Dave Baker (dsb@greebo.onlinemagic.co.uk)
Sun, 9 Jun 1996 12:20:52 -0500

pb90@columbia.edu wrote:

>I am wondering if the linux operating system takes advantage of computers
>with multiple processors!
>If yes would anyone know how many processors can Linux deal with at the
>same time?
>
>Any information welcome......Thank's

>From what I heard, low-end multiprocessors are a bit of a waste anyway.

I understand linux CAN support them (don't know how many tho') but you're
better off getting a single processor thats n times faster, than n proc's
all running slower.

There was a thread about this on one of the redhat-lists, and the basis
conclusion (that I drew, at least) is it's hard enough keeping one
processor busy without having to worry about i/o bandwidthg
and such to keep n processors busy ...

$0.02

dave baker