Re: eth0 mismatched read page ptr

Alexandre Maret (amaret@infomaniak.ch)
Mon, 10 Jun 1996 23:29:09 +0200

Paul Gortmaker wrote:

> Putting dual Tx bufs back into place didn't happen until 1.3.99, so if
> it broke at 1.3.97 it is probably something else. Did 1.3.96 actually
> work without the need to hard reset the machine after running win95?

I just sent another mail to Alan (cc:linux-net) about this. 1.3.96 worked
fine... (but I've already deleted the zimage).

> > Jun 9 17:02:31 tower kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 1 vs 4c.
> > Jun 9 17:02:31 tower kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 1 vs 4d.
> > Jun 9 17:02:31 tower last message repeated 7 times
> >
> > If I run linux after hard reseting/power cycling my computer,
> > there's no problems. The socket destroyed problem also
> > disappear...
>
> It sounds like the win95 driver is putting the card in some proprietary
> mode of operation from which you can't get back out of unless you cycle
> the power. The linux driver does a hard reset of the card upon init, and
> there isn't much else it can do if that doesn't bring it back.
>
> If the above is true, you may wish to try throwing the driver disk that
> came with the card out the window, and just use the "generic" NE2000

I think I've installed the generic driver... I'll try different drivers
as soon as possible (friday)

> Paul.

thanks !!

alex

--
// Alexandre Maret -- Linux : The choice of a GNU generation //