Re: SMC Etherpower lockups

David C Niemi (niemi@wauug.erols.com)
Wed, 12 Jun 1996 20:41:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Wolfgang Jung wrote:
[Someone else wrote]
> #Hi all,
> # I'm using an SMC Etherpower PCI Combo card in a PC running ver 1.2.12 of
> #the kernel and it detects the card as a DE435:
> Similar Problem at our Site , the machine is supposed to be a NFS Server
> but if the traffic on the Ethernet from/to this machine the machine just gets hang in 3-20h depending on the ethernettraffic..
> But perhaps the 2.0 kernel is better , at least the tries has developed a bit,
> at least the versionnumer was counted and some infos about the version are mentioned within the source file.

In fact the v2.0 networking code is drastically different from 1.2.x. Now
that 2.0 is officially out, it is unlikely that much sustained effort will
be devoted to 1.2.x fixes by serious kernel hackers, so it is worth trying
out 2.0 RSN. There are some things you'll need to upgrade to make this
work well for you, but the performance and features of v2.0 are impressive
enough to make this worth considering even if you do not have problems
with 1.2.x.

David
Niemi@wauug.erols.com 703-810-5538 Reston, Virginia, USA
------ Money talks, but it is wrong half of the time. -----