Re: lockf and mail

Geof Goodrum (ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov)
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 08:31:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 12 Jun 1996, Michael Blair Mathers wrote:

> Since I upgraded the kernel I have been unable to recieve mail to my machine
> from remote sources..
>
> SMTP server says (my machine)
>
> 451 cannot lockf(/etc/aliases.dir, fd=6, type=1, omode=37777777777, eiud=0):
> Device or resource busy
>
> my alias files are present read/write by root and readable by all others
>
> a newaliases command (by root) yields the same message except fd=4 and
> all else the same.
> It does process the aliases tho. after this message it gives normal output
>
> /etc/aliases: 19 aliases, longest 100 bytes, 385 bytes total
>
> what's this deal with lockf? anybody have any insights?

Read linux/Documentation/locks.txt. Essentially, you need to upgrade libc
and recompile/fix older progs which use broken file locking.

DISCLAIMER: The comments above are my own and do not necessarily represent
the views of my employer.
: Geoffrey P. Goodrum : US Department of Commerce :
: +1-301-457-5100 : NOAA/NESDIS National Climatic Data Center :
: ggoodrum@perigee.ncdc.noaa.gov: Satellite Services Branch :
<A HREF="http://www2.ncdc.noaa.gov/GEOF/geof.html">Geof's Primordial Soup</A>