Re: Bug in 1.2.13 firewall?

Mike Kilburn (mike@lserv.conexio.co.za)
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 10:51:53 +0200

Dennis representing ET foolishly wrote:
> True, but if the kernel isnt stable who cares if the drivers work? The
> bottom line is that if the kernel is stable then you dont need source,

There were plenty of stable 1.3 kernels. I know because I used them
extensivly.

> I was joking, but the point is that your ridiculing of commercial products
> is keeping vendors from supporting LINUX, which hurts the entire

I think you have this backwards now. Better wake up and smell the coffee :)
If you want to make more money you will support Linux. Your not doing Linux
users a favor by supporting them, they are doing you a favor by buying your
product. You have competition now, and plenty coming.

> user population. The statement that LINUX should prohibit the use of
> binary-only distributions is totally absurd. Equally absurd is the thought

You dont understand the idea behind free software.

> that some dude in the Urals can support a product better than the
> manufacturer.

This depends. If you release *all* the information then its a bit silly to
think ET programmers are somehow better than the rest of the world.
But who says you cant have two drivers, the best will normally win out
anyway. Besides, someone might want to add a protocol you dont want to
and thus increase the demand for your card - free software is good for
business - you just have to change your additude.

Its your business how you support Linux, but the word is spreading about
binary only drivers and I can tell you that very soon none of our clients
will be buying those things. Its ok for other OS's but it just doesnt work
well for many Linux users. The free software ideal is also very important to
some people and its spreading.