Re: Bug in 1.2.13 firewall

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 12:17:26 +0100 (BST)

> Dennis from ET wrote
> >> Hey. Give me a kernel that works and we'll do a port ......
> Thats a cop out. Every other driver maintainer kept up with 1.3 to some
> extent. I would think your sales to Linux users would justify someone
> to at least read the mailing lists. The fact that you shipped a 1.3.56
> (which did not work BTW) and not a 1.3.57 driver show you dont care enough
> about
> Linux to know what a stable kernel is.

Out of order: I actually exchanged Email with Denis before 2.0 along the
issue of what version to port stuff against. Having tcp problems up to 2.0
release we made it (unfortunately) damn difficult for people to debug drivers
against as you couldnt be sure what was a driver bug and what was a networking
bug.

If you dont like binary only drivers then don't use them. I for example wouldnt
because of these issues. DONT forget however that there are two options and
some people want to use the ET kit and by them using binary only drivers you
dont suffer one iota nor are you forced too

Alan