Re: Linux as an Ethernet Switch & More

DUPRE Christophe (duprec@JSP.UMontreal.CA)
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 10:58:15 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> It's certainly possible but I would seriously question your reasons for
> doing this. After all, a 3com 24 10baseT port with a 100baseT uplink
> multiple MAC address switch costs um, $3k. After you've bought a p200
> plus a bunch of multiport NICs and screwed with their interrupts and
> configured linux and possibly dealt with bugs in the bridging code...
> you're getting up there near $3k if not over.

Not really - you can get a P166 with minimal hard drive, 32 Megs RAM and
4 100Mbps NIC cards (PCI - no interrupt fiddling) for under $2000,
assuming you don't buy monitors, keyboard, cdrom etc which are not needed
for a bridge... Of course, you won't be able to have 24 10BT ports, but
for a smaller network Linux would do just fine...

Christophe Dupre Universite de Montreal
Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre" - Fernando Savater

#include <disclaimer.h>