Re: NFS problems (was Re: how to diagnose persistent hangs in r

Adam Neat (adamneat@ipax.com.au)
Thu, 30 Jan 1997 11:52:56 +0000

> On 27 Jan 1997 20:09:05 -0500, Nelson Minar <nelson@media.mit.edu>
> wrote:
> >For the past few months my Linux box has had persistent, occasional
> >problems of processes hanging in rpc_recv. My box has most of its
> >files local, but my home directory is NFS mounted (via amd). I don't
> >expect an easy answer, but tips on how to debug it further would be
> >very valuable.
>
> I am also having this problem with 2.0.28 and amd (amd920824upl90). In
> addition to hanging in rpc_revc, I also have process that hang in
> wait_on_page. While in `wait_on_page', top indicates that the system
> is essentually idle but `xload' shows it is heavily loaded.
>
> I do not recall having any of these problems in the early 1.3.X series
> and I certainly did not have them with 1.2.13. Something is definitely
> wrong with the 2.0.XX NFS implementation.
>
> I too would appreciate some tips on diagnosing this situation because
> I rely on NFS. If it continues for another week or so, I may go back
> to using Solaris or possibly I will look into FreeBSD. However, I
> would like to contribute to fixing the problem instead abandoning
> linux.

Hi

We too are having a few problems. BUT, i have seen it work EXCELLENT
under 2.0.12 on all our machines.

I have been told that there sometimes is a few nasty bugs or erros in
start up files that cause your loop back to be like:

127.0.0.1 * 255.255.255.255 22 lo

whch shoudl be

127.0.0.0 * 255.0.0.0 22 lo

Try that

any dont forget that NFS now heavily uses /etc/hosts.allow and .deny

Adam

| IPAX Systems - Melbourne Australia * IPAX Head Office: (03) 9887-1984 |
| Adam Neat * IPAX FAX: (03) 9801-8533 |
| National Systems Manager * IPAX Postal: GPO BOX 94A |
| E-mail: adamneat@ipax.com.au * Melbourne, Vic |
| Mobile: 0418-348-187 * Australia 3001 |