IP_masq and FTP error message (was: RE: IP_Masq OK (was Tunable net parameters))

Alan Bailward (ajb@direct.ca)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 18:27:42 -0800

Paolo Rocchi[SMTP:paolo.rocchi@snam.eni.it] wrote:
>Don't ask me why but this used to work flawlessly under 2.0.28:
>ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.100.100.2/32 -D 0.0.0.0/0
>but not under 2.1.22.
>This works with the new kernels instead:
>ipfwadm -F -a m -S 10.100.100.0/24 -D 0.0.0.0/0
>
>I tested only a telnet connection, so I can't confirm
>whether the same applies to ftp, but I've no reasons to
>doubt it does.

Along a similar thread, I just got ip masqerading going under 2.0.28, and I can do everything I expect to do from behind my "gateway", except when I try to retrieve files via ftp, I get the message (or something along the lines of): "no route for data". Now this is *after* I have logged in, so I do get information from the ftp server, but it refuses to 'get' files.

I don't have a problem on another machine of a friend, though. The setups are quite similar, though much playing is done with both machines. Anyone seen this?

(appolagies for not having the exact error message, I am stuck for a while on a 95 machine :-\ ).

alan

---
Alan Bailward
ajb@direct.ca